Saint Genevieve (Ottawa)
Saint Genevieve Parish in the Catholic diocese of Ottawa was founded on May 28, 1963. In May, 2016, the parish was awarded an environmental certificate for 2015 by Faith and the Common Good. In his congratulatory message, Ottawa archbishop, Terrence Prendergast, praised the efforts of Fr. Jaques Kabasu-Bamba and all the parishioners to ensure the well-being of the earth, this sacred gift God entrusts to us. This recognition correlates well with the Ladauto Sí encyclical of Pope Francis and with our responsibility to become actively involved in protecting the earth, our common home.
We can say that the greening of Saint Genevieve Parish dates from 2011. Blue, green and black recycling bins were installed. The basement lights were replaced with energy saving light bulbs. Windows were changed to reduce heat loss. The heating system was updated and circulation was improved through a modification of the control valve. Toilets were changed for more ecological “dual-flush” models.
To emphasize the importance of recycling, the rental contract for the parish hall contains a reference to our commitment to recycling with the obligation on the part of the renter to sort out the recycling items.
The parish follows a practice of diminishing the amount of accumulated garbage by efforts to reduce and to reuse. Environmental awareness actions in the application of this practice include the use of:
- Preauthorized withdrawals to reduce the number of printed envelopes for the Sunday collection
- Paper cups instead of Styrofoam
- Glass instead of plastic wineglasses for social events
- Cloth rather than plastic tablecloths
- Water pitchers instead of throwaway water bottles
- Computer printers programmed to print on both sides of the paper
The Development and Peace team is very active in the parish. Over the past fifteen years, this team has promoted campaigns for:
- A water-bottle-free zone
- Food sovereignty
- Fair compensation for small producers
- Ethical mining practices
- Fair access to seeds
- The “100% Possible” March for Climate Solutions in preparation for the 2015 Paris Summit
Sainte Genevieve Parish
825 Canterbury Ave, Ottawa, ON
website : http://www.sainte-genevieve.ca/