The Diocesan Centre is the hub of the pastoral services and ministries of the Valleyfield Diocese.
We want the Diocesan Centre to become a guidepost for Creation care and a source of inspiration for parishes and Christian communities in their local initiatives. We are starting off gradually as a Green Centre that encourages and is supportive of those groups moving toward registration in the Green Churches Network.
For quite a few years our bishop, Most Rev. Noël Simard, has aided the green shift of the diocese by his actions, his prayers, his homilies on nature and by creating the post of diocesan representative for Creation Care Ministry.
As of March 2017, the Diocesan Centre staff members have adopted these practices in caring for Creation:
*Publication of a Green Minute column in diocesan weekly newsletter
*Updating the Ecology section of the diocesan website
* Making Wi-Fi access available everywhere
* Placement of recovery bins next to garbage cans in public places and offices
* Placement of recycling bins
* Printing on both sides of the paper
* Reusing paper printed on one side only
* Turning off the lights when leaving a room
* Collection of:
+ Pull Tabs
+ Twist Ties
+ Cards (Birthday, Christmas, Easter, etc.)
+ Ink Cartridges and Cell Phones (MIRA Foundation)
*A diocesan library for book sharing
* Loan of diocesan equipment to parishes
* Awareness Campaigns (Green Churches Network, Development & Peace, Anti-pipeline Collective, Earth Day, Green Churches Kiosk at the annual Faith Festival)
* A diocesan centre Green Committee to encourage and support initiatives and projects promoting Creation care
We are moving ahead in our efforts to grow ecological awareness and to take new steps in our everyday choices and actions towards the protection of Creation as well as to schedule stimulating events to further this cause.
Diocesan Creation Care Ministry
In the name of the Diocesan Centre Green Committee
Valleyfield Diocesan Centre
11 rue de l’Église, Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, QC, J6T 1J5