The Service Intercommunautaire d’Animation Franciscaine (SIAF) brings together the members of the French-speaking Franciscan Family in Quebec and Eastern Ontario. We seek to build on the main values of the Franciscan movement, including care for Creation, and we work to develop these values and pass them on to others.
Each year, we offer days of reflection that give participants an opportunity to combine social justice, Franciscan spirituality and action, and since social justice issues are linked to environmental issues, it could be said that Francis and Clare of Assisi’s concern for a just and fraternal world that takes Creation into consideration is central to our mission.
We publish news about the Franciscan Family in a newsletter that is issued 4 to 6 times a year; members receive it by e-mail. We are considering including something from the Green Church website in each issue.
We will soon have a collection box for printer cartridges, and we will be offering this service when we travel around to hold our days of reflection in Montreal, Quebec City, Baie-Saint-Paul and Sherbrooke, and at all activities where we represent the Franciscan Family. As sons and daughters of the patron of ecology, we are proud to be Green Church members and we will continue to be committed!
Some of the concrete actions at our Montreal office, where we are two employees:
• Travel by carpooling, public transit or bicycle whenever possible
• Recycling bins for paper, cardboard, glass, metal and plastic
• Double-sided printing
• Reusing paper printed on only one side for personal notes, printing draft copies and for faxes
• FSC-certified paper for photocopying
• Energy-efficient photocopier
• IT systems shut off whenever someone leaves the office
• Purchase of fair trade tea and coffee
• Reusable tableware (cups, plates, utensils)
• Sending the Green Church newsletter to a mailing list of more than 200 members
• Promoting the Green Church project at a day of reflection in 2010-2011
“Praise and bless my Lord and give Him thanks, and serve Him with great humility.”
(Canticle of the Creatures, Saint Francis of Assisi)
Pace e Bene,
Danielle Julien, fmic
5750 boul. Rosemont